Bristol Bay Regional Seafood Development Association
Five-Year Strategic Plan 2013 – 2018
Maximize the value of the Bristol Bay fishery for the benefit of our members.
The economic wellbeing of BBRSDA members
A sustainable Bristol Bay commercial fishery
The highest quality wild salmon products
Strategy #1 - Improve Quality and Value
Chilling - Build the capacity and desire of the fishery to chill product during harvest.
- Monitor economic benefits and costs of chilling fish during harvest.
- Track chilling activities in the Bay.
- Research, identify and promote chilling practices that are
- effective and practical.
Handling - Encourage adoption of handling procedures that result in higher quality salmon from the point of harvest through to the point of sale.
- Research, identify and promote handling practices that are effective and practical.
Strategy #2 – Support Research
Promote research that leads to a better understanding of the science and economics of the Bristol Bay wild salmon fishery in order to improve revenues for fishermen.
- Improve accuracy of pre-season and in-season forecasts.
- Investigate potential environmental and economic impacts of commercial fishing on the Bristol Bay region.
- Investigate potential environmental and economic impacts of non-fishing activities.
Strategy #3 – Conduct Marketing and Promotion
Promote and market the Bristol Bay wild salmon resource in the domestic and global markets.
- Investigate and develop new strategies with the goal of creating a long-term marketing plan for the region’s seafood products.
- Collaborate with other marketing programs to increase impact.
Strategy #4 – Maintain Sustainability of the Fishery
Promote activities that assure the continuation of a biologically and economically healthy and productive commercial fishery.
- Seek the highest level of harvest value consistent with sustainable salmon runs.
- Whenever practical, work with processors, government managers, and others to jointly develop activities that support the goal of sustainable fishery.
- Encourage young adults to enter the fishery.
- Protect habitat needed for diverse and abundant salmon
- Raise awareness of the sustainable Bristol Bay wild salmon resource.
Strategy #5 – Strengthen the Organization
Continuously work to strengthen BBRSDA’s organizational foundation.
- Continually strengthen communications between the Association and its members.
- Improve board effectiveness through ongoing board education and training.
- Seek external funding to support the activities and aims of the Association
- Develop and maintain systems for strong administrative and financial management.